Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
We strive to value, respect and welcome each Hillrom associate’s contributions every day.
Because our associates feel like they belong, they share different perspectives and ideas that lead to better decisions. And better decisions lead to innovations that enhance outcomes for patients and their caregivers around the world.
Including and supporting the voices of 10,000+ associates isn’t optional. It’s who we are, and the foundation for our success.
Under the leadership of our Diversity & Inclusion Council, which includes our CEO, we focus on creating an environment of inclusive, respectful behavior and belonging.
"We are building a culture of inclusion, belonging and equality of opportunity to increase our level of innovation and enhance outcomes for patients and their caregivers."
— John P. Groetelaars, Hillrom President and CEO
Together, we have:
- Achieved 30% representation for women on our Board of Directors and 40% on our Executive Leadership Team;
- Been honored to participate in Catalyst CEO Champions for Change, a group of 50+ CEOs pledging to advance more women into all levels of leadership; and
- Led dozens of workshops on unconscious bias training and preventing harassment and discrimination.
We provide dedicated, annual diversity and inclusion eLearning for all associates. This training is a formal requirement. In addition, we mandate live, facilitated EEO and anti-harassment training for all U.S. associates biennially.
"Fantastic job on the Conscious Inclusion training! You provided a perfect blend of education and audience participation. It felt like a safe environment where everyone’s voice could be heard."
—Julie McCormick, Area Vice President & Co-chair, Professional Women's Group
We have developed targeted recruitment programs to improve the diversity of our new hires. These recruitment programs include a requirement for all open searches to include a diverse slate of candidates and a diverse panel of interviewers; dedicated in-house recruiters to develop relationships with institutions and educate them on Hillrom and its career opportunities; and on-site visits to meet potential job candidates. We identify talent, in part, through the following U.S. institutions and organizations:
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Howard University and NC A & T State University
- National Society of Black Engineers – African American focus on engineering
- Society of Women Engineers – Women focus on engineering
- Lucas Group, RecruitMilitary, Monster Military – VET hiring
All Hillrom associates globally are invited to participate in our Employee Resource Groups, which offer training, discussion groups, events and opportunities to interact with Hillrom’s leaders. We currently sponsor the following groups:
A number of Hillrom’s employee benefits and policies also help to support workforce diversity. Those include adoption leave, flexible time off, parental leave, telecommuting, breast milk shipping and transgender medical coverage.
Specific Hillrom human capital programs that further promote diversity and inclusion include:
- Sponsorship Program: Executive Leadership Team members are sponsors of diverse talent to ensure those individuals gain visibility and are supported in their growth at Hillrom.
- Growth Action Teams (GAT): GAT provides an opportunity for a diverse group of employees to take on a key business project to solve, further fostering diverse talent development and visibility.
Our diversity and inclusion commitments are fortified by our anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, which are highlighted and described in our Global Code of Conduct.
Hillrom has set an aggressive three-year goal (2018-2020) to drive incremental spend with small, small disadvantaged, women, veteran, service disabled veteran and HUBZone owned businesses.
In 2018, we surpassed our established plan by 3% and we are furthering our commitment to our supplier diversity program through the establishment of additional goals within our spend categories, and attending targeted tradeshows such as the NMSDC and LGBT conferences.
Living Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Hillrom
Hillrom is a company of people dedicated to living our values and to innovating for patients and their caregivers. It is our culture of Respect that allows our industry leading innovation to shine through.